Inbox by Gmail is an e-mail service that is developed by Google. It was released officially in 2015 and made by the team of Gmail yet they claim it is completely different type of a mailing system and it is designed in such a way to only focus on the important elements. This application is available on the web, as well as available for download on the smart phones through Android as well as for iOS systems.
The main aim of this new application for email focuses on improving the organizational productivity by incorporating a few key features in their application. It gives the user’s ability to control certain features when certain information appears. Moreover it is equipped with new updates like smart reply as well as an undo send feature.
Main Features Of Inbox by Gmail
- Inbox by Gmail offers an alternative way to use your Gmail account and this has a 15 GB of storage capacity as well as mobile application.
- Inbox by Gmail is equipped with “underpinning” feature which means you can do spam filters, have two factor authentication for security as well as for integration with third party tools.
- It categorizes the e-mail messages automatically in up to 7 buckets. These are divided between: social updates, purchases, financial messages, forums, low priority messages, promotions and updates (which also include newsletters as well).
- This platform also has the ability to be able to group the messages according to categories or according to bundles. In order to clean up the mailbox, it gives options to only have the messages in the mailbox once or twice in a week.
- You can fix the e-mail bundles quite easily. If an e-mail message has been put into a wrong bundle, by moving it to the right bundle you can train the categorization engine.
- Inbox by Gmail can also categorize information according to the trips you make. That is through hotel reservations and flight details.
- The attachments as well as the images can be accessed quite easily from the inbox as slideshows or as previews and zipped downloads. In order to send or receive large sized files, it integrates the Google drive with the Inbox.
- The user can add their specific bundles to the mailbox as well. They usually show up as labels in Gmail and it allows the user to be able to filter the mail through recipient or the sender, the subject or through the text of the message.
- If in case the user, cannot or immediately does not want to deal with an e-mail message or a category they have the option of deferring them for later when they get the time to do so.
- The E-mail also includes a to-do list. As the user creates a new item, the application tries to predict what the user will put in as information and when it figures out that there is a to-do list in the e-mail, it will automatically suggest the user to even set a reminder for it.
- For the e-mails that are common, such as suggestions or requests for example. Inbox by Gmail offers the users suggested options as replies and as a shortcut for replying to their e-mails.
- Many of the keyboard shortcuts of the Gmail that are familiar can be used to operate on the web to make it work faster.
- It is a different and quite helpful and organized way of managing your e-mails.
- User’s e-mails are classified and sorted automatically even those which are in bulk.
- There are options for keeping reminders or deferring your e-mails.
- It gives you the options of short reply in order to get you to answer your e-mails
- It may get confusing for the user to have all the options of classifying and bundling.
- There are no email templates and it does not suggest longer replies to emails.
- There is only 15 GB of storage that is shared with the Google drive.
How to get Inbox by Gmail
It is quite simple and easy to get Inbox by Gmail to use. It can work on your desktop as well as on your Smartphones whether it is android or iPhone/iPad.
To use on your computer
In order to use Inbox by Gmail on your computer, all you need to do is go to inbox.google.com and sign in using your Gmail id and password. It works the best with the latest versions of Firefox or chrome or safari. If your computer is not equipped with the following, then it is better to download Google chrome. Now you can simply use your Inbox by Gmail application by downloading, installing and following the instructions.
To use on Android
You can download the Inbox by Gmail application from Google play store if you are using the Android 4.1 or later. It can also be used on the android wear watches. Simply download, install and follow the instructions.
To use on iPad or iPhones devices
It is also quite simple to use on any iOS device. All you need to do is simply download the latest inbox application on iTunes and install it on your device and it will work easily.
It has great features over all
Inbox by Gmail is great in a way that it is different from the regular web based e-mails. Most of the e-mail platforms that are there are very minimalistic and basic. Inbox by Gmail is like having smart e-mail system that helps the users to organize their e-mail systems. It helps them to see at a glance what they are looking for rather than searching for it all over their mailbox. Moreover, there are other various great functions that it does as mentioned below.
Provides the right tools
It is able to provide the user with the relevant and useful that helps them to organize their email and get rid of too much clutter than can actually mask the more important information or emails. It not only provides the relevant tools such as filters and labels but it also equips the user on how to use them as well.
Sorting and bucketing of e-mails
Inbox by Gmail allows the emails to be automatically placed in their relevant place by sorting them out according to the list of messages or conversations instead of simply by the date. All seven categories can be enabled even though the promos one is quite useful for filtering out the promotional newsletters while the finance takes care of all the financial information and the bills. The social section collects the social media related e-mails from Facebook, twitter, Pinterest, etc.
The categorization is reliable
The categorization is quite reliable overall for placing of the emails in the relevant bucket. However, the user should be careful of the bucket labeled low priority bucket as it may seem “low” priority to the mailbox but might be of some importance to the user. The bucket of Purchases is so far the most liked category over all for most users as it not only sorts the e-mail according to the items that the user has bought online but also tracks its shipment and the details.
In the itinerary bucket, the emails regarding any sort of travel related emails are collected, such as flight details, hotel booking, etc. Overall, the system is quite accurate in categorization of the emails, although the user should check from time to time whether an important email is placed in an incorrect category or not.
Move the emails around
Once the emails are in your inbox bucket the user has the option of moving those messages in which ever folder they feel it belongs to or marking the emails as “done” or “read” or deleting them or archiving them.
Deferring and snoozing emails
Deferring is an interesting feature of this platform. Once the user has marked an email for snooze it means it will be hidden from the user’s mailbox and the buckets for a specified period of time till the user wants to see it again. It allows the users to ignore certain emails for a specified period of time till they want to see them again.
How is Inbox by Gmail different from regular E-Mail?
- Inbox by Gmail can be best described as a modern and an innovative way of dealing with your email, whether they are important messages or simple basis scam messages.
- The basic difference in Inbox by Gmail from other e-mail system are as follows:
- There is a more efficient way of dealing with your emails than in regular email systems. It reduces the clusters of emails by classifying them in relevant sections and the inbox can get “trained” to put the email where it belongs.
- You have the ability to pin emails which will still appear on top of your mailbox even if you have put them in another category.
- There is no snooze button or option in the regular e-mail systems.
- Inbox by Gmail is equipped with the most important feature that most conventional e-mails do not have, the “undo” button. There is an option of recalling an email that you have already sent, there is however a grace period of about 15 seconds where you can simply “undo” the sent option.
- There is a to-do list in Inbox by Gmail.